What is Marriage?
- Ephesians and Genesis are Connected (31-33)
- Women are Called to Submit (22-24)
- Men are Called to Lead (23-30)
- John Piper Charge to men:
- That all of your life- in whatever calling- be devoted to the glory of God.
- That the promises of Christ be trusted so fully that peace and joy and strength fill your soul to overflowing.
- That this fullness of God overflow in daily acts of love so that people might see your good deeds and give glory to your Father in Heaven.
- That you be men of the Book, who love and study and obey the Bible in every area of its teaching; that meditation on Biblical truth be the source of hope and faith; that you continue to grow in understanding through all the chapters of your life, never thinking that study and growth are only for others.
- That you be men of prayer, so that the Word of God will be opened to you, so the power of faith and holiness will descend upon you; that your spiritual influence may increase at home and at church and in the world.
- That you be totally committed to ministry, whatever your specific calling; that you not fritter away your time on excessive sports and recreation or unimportant hobbies or aimless didling in the garage; but that you redeem the time for Christ and his Kingdom.
- That, if you are single, you exploit your singleness to the full in devotion to God (the way Jesus sand Paul did) and not be paralyzed by the desire to be married.
- That, if you are married, you love your wife the way Christ loved the church and gave himself for her; that you be a humble, self-denying, upbuilding, happy spiritual leader; that you consistently grow in grace and knowledge so as never to quench the aspirations of your wife for spiritual advancement; that you cultivate tenderness and strength, a pattern of initiative and a listening ear; and that you accept responsibility of provision and protection in the family, however you and your wife share the labor.