Commit to Raise Your Child in a God-Honoring Home
What is Parent Dedication?
Parent Dedication is a special time during a weekend service in which you make a formal commitment to raise your child in a Christ-centered home. We see several examples in the Bible such as I Samuel 1:24 – 2:10 when Hannah dedicated Samuel at the temple and Luke 2 where Mary and Joseph dedicated Jesus. During the weekend services you will be asked to make a public pledge before the congregation that you will raise your child to know, love and follow Jesus Christ. God designed the home as the primary place for faith to be nurtured. One way that we seek to partner with you is by providing resources throughout your child’s spiritual journey. We call this the Faith Path. Parent dedication is the first step.
The Parent’s Commitment
Parent Dedication is your commitment to model, teach and reinforce the Christian Faith. It should not be confused with your child’s personal choice to follow Christ. We believe the Bible clearly teaches that each person must decide for themselves to trust in Jesus Christ as both Savior and Lord (Romans 10:9-10). The age a child is ready to make this personal decision will vary depending on the child.
The Church’s Commitment
Parent Dedication is also a time for the church to commit to walk alongside you as you point your child toward Christ. You will receive a gift called My Faith Box to provide ideas each step of the way, from birth to age eighteen. It is also a place for keepsake items from your child’s spiritual journey.
Parent Dedication Steps
- Sign up for Parent-Child Dedication by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org (there are about 2 offerings each year)
- Attend a Parent Dedication Orientation Class on the Sunday your child will be dedicated.
- Fill out your Family Faith Plan that will be provided at Parent Dedication Orientation.
- Participate in an upcoming Parent Dedication Weekend Celebration.
Parent Dedication Celebration Ideas
Ideas for making dedication a special time include…
- Have a dinner or celebration time with family and friends before/after the weekend service.
- Invite family members and special family friends to write blessings to your child to put in their My Faith Box. Make sure that you write one too!
- Record a video message for your child to view in the future. Speak words of affirmation, sharing how you are praying for their spiritual journey and how you desire to point them toward Christ. Put the video in your child’s My Faith Box. Examples are available for you to watch on the video included with this kit. You can also write a letter if that works better for you.
The next step on the Faith Path is the Blessing, recommended at age three. We will offer a free Blessing kit to guide you when your child turns three. Request the Blessing kit by e-mailing our Next Generation pastor: Michael Beene (email@example.com).